In 1918, Emil G. Borisch and Walter C. Kohls founded Milwaukee Gear in a small, downtown Milwaukee one story brick building. In the beginning, they were the salesmen, machinists, order clerks and product inspectors.
In 1953, the business moved to is current 180,000 square foot location at 5150 N. Port Washington Road, in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. The new facility led to a broadening of the company's capabilities for precision, efficiency and capacity.
In 2012, Milwaukee Gear was acquired by Regal Beloit Corporation (now Regal Rexnord).
In 2015, Milwaukee Gear became part Regal Power Transmission Solutions business.